Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fifty percent surcharge on coffee

Sometimes I wonder about the decisions I make. Like coming to the Marriott for a conference by Oxford Press for TEFL teachers, having forty minutes to spare and deciding to have a coffee at the lobby café where I can see delicious looking sandwiches and tasty coffees making my mouth water. 'La Pallesiere' in the lobby on the right as you enter, offers takeaway and eat in options. I order a café mocha, something different from my usual large black Americano. The price is 9.50zloty. Not a problem.
The lady behind the counter is middle aged. She's kind enough to smile which doesn't happen as often as I'd like or I'm used to. There's a sense of warmth glowing from her, which makes her a good candidate for working with people there.
'You know that if you have it on the spot there's a fifty per cent surcharge.' she informs me.
I try not to sound shocked and contain my laughter, telling her that it doesn't matter. I still want the coffee.

I sit down at the marble table and a few moments later the same lady brings over my Café Mocha in a medium sized cup. No revelation there. It's just cacao, coffee, milk and water.
This is Poland, I shouldn't be surprised. I am paying extra for the pleasure to sit in the Marriott lobby where business man chat, young pretty girls are interviewed for positions in the hotel, and parents try to contain their loud children. Nothing different from the regular Coffee Heaven or Starbucks down the road, so why the surcharge? Ah, yes I forgot. I'm at the Marriott sitting at a marble table and leather chair. The patrons flash their gold watches and expensive tailored business suits. Tapping on lap tops on speaking on their phones about another boring meeting or conference, making excuses to their wives or husbands as to why they are going to be late home again.

So why did I agree to pay 15zloty for a Café Mocha when I could have brought half a kilo of coffee for that same price and had it for a month or two at home? Well, it's all about the experience. Travelling is about experiencing the destination you are at. I've never been to a hotel where they surcharged for eating or drinking on the spot. It's a first. Is this normal? If someone can let me know I will be grateful. If it wasn't for the conference I would have not been there.

I still have time to enjoy my coffee and observe the vanity of individuals, young and old, who come here. I was supposed to go without coffee today and for the rest of the week but how could I resist. I may not have a reason to come here again. Or maybe? But I like the Marriott. I love hotel lobby's and restaurants just as much as airports. People watching is fun, and I notice I'm not the only one doing it. I am here to observe, write and enjoy the Cafe Mocha.

Time to finish up and had to the third floor for the conference, after all that is what I came here for.

No comments:

Post a Comment