Thursday, November 12, 2009

XXI Bieg Niepodległosci

Yesterday marked the 91st anniversary of Poland's Independence. Many people celebrated on the streets and at home. Millions of homes hung the Polish flag out in front of their homes as a sign of patriotism and pride. Others took part in the parades. While seven thousand Poles, along with hundreds of their family and friends, took part in the XXI Bieg Niepodległości (21st Independence Day Run).

The 10km run takes place every year on 11/11. Thousands of people join in to run around Warsaw to celebrate Independence Day. This year Jarek and I took part as well. All the runners were dressed in red or white tshirts to represent the colours of the Polish flag. The aerial view would have been amazing.

I was very pleased with my result as I beat my last year's record for the 10km (56mins) by over five minutes, this years' 10km result was 50:51. I am extremely pleased especially considering the weather - overcast, cloudy, 6 degrees and raining. But it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment