Friday, April 9, 2010

Writing Excessively or Not

I often read about the problem with overwriting. Too many details, too many words, similes, metaphors, unnecessary adverbs and weak verbs. Looking over my manuscript I find that my problem is 'skinny' writing. I'm yet to come across an article telling me how to avoid this – I doubt that I am the only one with this problem.

I've written and thrown out about a dozen novels. My apprenticeship as I see it. The problem is that once I get to about 60,000 words I'm finished. The story is finished. There's a lot happening. The problem is that I don't know how to thicken the scenes out.

So what is my solution?

Well I need to learn to write excessively. Figuring that out is the easy part. How does one write excessively?

Details. Details within the details. Description. It's easy, so why can't I manage to do it?

Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment