Thursday, November 18, 2010

Attention to Detail

Attention to detail doesn’t seem to be my forte lately. I’ve been making silly mistakes which make me feel & look stupid.


I made a mistake and now I want to curl up in a dark hole somewhere and not come out. It was a serious mistake which I hope can be amended quickly; it made me look stupid and unprofessional. These things happen but they shouldn’t - not for someone who is working towards becoming a freelance writer.


There are plenty of excuses I could use for making some of these mistakes – stress, lack of time, stress again – but none of them are good enough. As a writer it is my job to provide work that is without errors, sure spelling mistakes get overlooked, a comma gets put in the wrong place – that’s forgivable – writing someone’s name inaccurately isn’t. The mistake happened because I wasn’t thorough enough before submitting the assignment. Now I’m kicking myself for being so careless.


The advice I have for myself or anyone who’s reading is not only read what you have written to check for errors but actually go through every part of your writing to ensure that it is error free. Fact check once, and fact check again. One small mistake can be costly and as a writer I or anyone else cannot afford that.

No comments:

Post a Comment