Sunday, August 21, 2011

Getting Pampered


Last week I received a lovely gift from one of my good friends – a 2 hour pampering package at a beauty salon which included an aromatherapy massage, facial, foot mask and scalp massage. I used the voucher today.

The lady guides me into a small room with dark walls, music plays in the background and I notice the small CD player on the floor. She instructs me to undress and lie on the table on my front with the towel covering my bottom half. I look around after she leaves and notice the lovely red flowers on the towels. I undress, gently remove the flowers and lie down as instructed. I’m anxious, I can feel my muscles are tensing up and I’m wondering whether I will feel better after. The music is soothing, Balinese tunes, birds chirping. The massage table creaks as I position myself comfortably on it. I wait.

I have a strong distaste for waiting or being still. Patience is something I’m learning. Relaxation is another thing I need to master. I’m here to unwind, clear my mind and rejuvenate but as I lie there my mind begins to go to overdrive. The women returns and begins the aromatherapy massage starting with my back. It’s light but still eases my aching muscles from the previous day’s weight training.

For a moment I manage to focus on my breathing and the massage itself. My neck is still tense. I force myself to relax and let go of some of that tension. The scalp massage surprises me. It hurts and that’s my fault – I don’t speak up. It hurts but after it’s over my head feels strangely relaxed. Before I know it, the hour massage is over and I have some sort of foot mask covering my feet and two towels dropped over them.

The facial is next. My face gets washed, scrubbed and wiped. She informs me she’s putting on a collagen cream that will keep my face young – not sure I believe it but hey, it’s worth a try. The avocado mask follows; then she puts two wet things on my eyes and leaves the room. I can’t stand this part. My mind starts to wander again. Even the music isn’t helping. I can’t just sit still and just be. That’s not me. I know I need to relax so I focus on my breathing. I get jittery, I tap my fingers, I stop, I tap again and realise that I am hopeless at this. I feel like I’m lying there for at least half an hour but it’s more like ten minutes before she returns and clears the gunk off my face. ‘We’re finished, thank you,’ she says.

I get up and get dressed. My body does feel relaxed even though I couldn’t settle my mind. Maybe after a few more days of getting massages and facials even my mind might shut off for an hour or two; or maybe not. Either way, it was lovely to get pampered.  

No comments:

Post a Comment