Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A love of bookstores

Monday and Wednesday nights are best times to spend in Empik in the city centre. My favourite one is in Galeria Centrum. It's a three level store with books, magazines, cd's, dvd's, school supplies and games. Best of all, on the top level is a café, with power points and a view of the Palace of Culture and Science.

I love to come here and write, among other people, among the books which I can reach out and read. Café's and book stores in one are a weakness of mine.

I always take the escalators to the third floor, browse through the English books, sometimes I make a purchase, but most of the time I read the back covers and move on.

Taking a seat by the window, overlooking Marszalkowska Street and the Palace of Culture and Science, with Central Station and Zlote Tarasy just over in the distance.

Traffic zooms past in both direction, people rushing home to their families, while many others – tourists and locals alike – stroll the streets, browse through shops – Zara, H&M, Reserved and Sephora – a couple buy flowers from the old man selling tulips and forget-me-nots. He's so sweet looking, I wonder how long he's been standing there for, and I remind myself to bring some change next time and buy a bunch from him. He's always smiling.

Warsaw with it's bustling lights, the place has come so far and still has such a long way to go. I reach over and bite into my Byron Bay cookie (I loved them in Australia), and I take a sip of green tea. This alone is proof that Warsaw is emerging from its 20 year post communism era, into the globalised future and may one day soon form its place as a modern state in the EU.

No comments:

Post a Comment