Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Good news or bad news?

Reading the newspaper on-line has become an everyday ritual. It's one of the first things I do when I turn on my computer whether it's in the morning or afternoon. Keeping abreast of all the latest in news headlines keeps me aware of what is going on in the world. I always thought this was a good thing. Lately, I'm beginning to wonder.

Wherever I look there's bad news posted on the page. Murder, violence, drugs, accidents, fraud, crime, war. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of seeing all the negativity in the world. Yes, I know that the reality is that there are good and bad people. Unfortunately, it's just those that commit crimes or do something stupid who get attention. The individuals who actually make a positive difference to society are rarely heard of. Why? Yes, we are obsessed with bad news. It's what sells. Just like sex sells, bad news sells. Which newspaper would you be more likely to buy, 'Five Beat Up in Nightclub Raid' or 'Mother of Five Saves Stray Dogs'?

Shouldn't journalists be paying as much, if not more attention to stories that show the positive sides of people. Wouldn't that have a positive impact on society's behaviour? Set an example to act like decent human beings? Maybe it's all the bad news that's broadcast around the world which is leading to even more crime and violence. I'm worried that in five or ten years time it's going to be dangerous to go outside like portrayed in one of those lame futuristic films.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment