Friday, September 10, 2010

Rising PKP Charges

Nothing should surprise me anymore but once again I couldn’t believe me ears. On my way to work today and listening to the radio I heard another ridiculous idea. It seems that PKP want to start charging people to be able to use the station and its platforms, and pay to catch the train.


Dworce mogą wyglądać tak jak lotniska. Być bezpieczne, czyste i ładne - przekonuje w swojej najnowszej kampanii informacyjnej spółka PKP i wyciąga rękę do naszej kieszeni. Z błogosławieństwem rządu, podkreśla "Metro"” http://biznes.onet.pl/oplata-dworcowa-juz-za-dwa-lata,18727,3601444,1,prasa-detal


Do the stations have to look like airports? Nope. Should they be safe, clean and pretty. Yes, but that should be a given not something I or any other passenger has to pay extra for.


Personally, I don’t like entering the stations for free so I doubt that I’ll be wanting to use them when I have to pay extra. Most are disgusting, poorly looked after, stink of piss and drunks, have limited public utilities which you have to pay for, and unpleasant staff who don’t understand the concept of customer service.


I’m curious as to where all the money they earn now goes. A normal ticket costs about 2.80zl for the SKM lines. PKP charge a lot more depending on the distance you travel. On top of that there is also the EU funding which Poland received which reaches the tens of billions. What’s happening to that money? Why does the government and all the other organization persist with taking money from the citizens but refuse to give anything in return?


Według wyliczeń resortu infrastruktury nasi przewoźnicy płaciliby rocznie 134 mln zł opłat dworcowych. Wstępne symulacje wskazują, że koszt podróży jednego pasażera podniósłby się wtedy od 10 do 80 gr.” http://biznes.onet.pl/oplata-dworcowa-juz-za-dwa-lata,18727,3601444,1,prasa-detal


10-80gr extra doesn’t seem like a lot. But what guarantee do passengers have that the PKP are going to keep to their word and provide the region with ‘safe, clean and pretty’ stations everywhere. Whenever there are extra charges, the money seems to disappear into thin air in this country and no one knows exactly where it goes. I’d like to see the promised changes made before I fork out any extra cash otherwise I prefer to cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment