Sunday, May 3, 2009

An Aussie in Warsaw

Why would a 20 something year old from the sunny Gold Coast in Australia want to leave her fantastic job, a flat near the beach and great lifestyle for dreary, sad and 20 years behind Poland?

Firstly, let me make one thing clear. I am both an Aussie and a Pole, however I don't like to label myself as either or. I was born in Poland, and raised in Australia. But I feel at home wherever I choose to go or travel to. I still remember bawling my eyes out on the train platform with the news that I was leaving my grandparents behind and everything I'd ever known to go to a place I'd never heard of.

Sixteen years later I'm back. Not intentionally. Back in 2007 I came to Warsaw to visit my grandparents and get some paperwork sorted before moving on to live in London for awhile. Well no one was kind enough to inform me that due to the ridiculous amount of bureaucracy my stay would have to be extended.

Stuck. Unemployed. Low on money and with no ability to work legally and nothing to do but write. I think there was a time where I reached a really low point in my existence. I didn't know what to do.

Cheer myself up of course.

An opportunity arose for me to go on holiday to a popular seaside destination. No thinking needed there. I was off, with people I didn't know and the intention to have a fantastic time in order to leave my worries behind, at least for a week. Needless to say, halfway through my week away, I fell in love, and as they say the rest is history.

Two years later many things still drive me insane.

I'm a freelance writer, TEFL teacher, traveller, friend and a huge optimist. Throughout this blog I will attempt to include travel stories, experiences, jokes, photos, news and views on politics, on people, on just about anything I feel like. But be warned I tend to get opinionated, however I try to have your best interest at heart. A small incident brought me here, a chance encounter, and the a wonderful man who has taught me to love, to enjoy the smaller things in life, and to laugh every chance I get.

This blog has begun in the hopes of gaining an understanding of the Polish culture and coming to terms with the fact that I have decided to stay here indefinitely. I welcome you, and hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it. Please feel free to comment or debate if you disagree with my opinionated soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment