Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 10: Step by Step


Let’s be honest here, there are days where you don’t feel like writing. Where sitting down in front of a computer screen or with pen & paper in hand is dreaded. Generally this idea happens during a slump or after a peak. Just like athletes cannot perform at their ultimate best every day of the year, writer’s cannot write at their very best each day either. 

Peaks and troughs are inevitable in your performance whether you are a writer or an athlete. Deal with it then get on with it. Writing utter shit isn’t going to kill. It’ll probably make you a better writer because after churning out the crap what you’ll be left with is the good stuff (a little optimism never hurt anyone). Worst case scenario, at least you’ll have something to work with, to tweak and mould into your desired shape, which is preferable to staring at a blank page for hours on end. Your ass will get sore but you’ll be no closer to attaining your dream of becoming a full time high earning writer. 

That was me this morning. I got on the train and the last thing I wanted to do was right. I had other things on mind. My better half is starting a new job today. I’m excited and nervous for him. I hope he enjoys it as it’s with a big company that offers career progression, many perks and has great hours which will be helpful once baby comes in May and I return to work in November. 

Anyhow, I wrote anyway. I didn’t feel like it but I figured if I just put words on screen without much care that something would eventuate. And it did. Slowly. I wrote a post for my fitness blog, I free wrote some gibberish to clear my mind, and I brainstormed an idea for several markets that I would like to pursue this week to meet my monthly quota of queries. 31 by the 31st March. 


No comments:

Post a Comment