Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 6: Time flies when you’re having fun ..... or wasting time

I’ve got no excuses. There are three potential ideas sitting in my Ideas file on the laptop and instead of transforming them into good queries they are left collecting digital dust. There’s also about three dozen others in various notebooks in my home office collecting real dust, the type you need to brush off with a dusting brush, on paper that might go stale after time, with coffee stains and dried income. You know the type, you used it if you’re old enough long before technology entered your life. 

I looked through my desk cabinet today and discovered several unused notebooks, large and small, lined, blank, and squared. Made me wonder did I really need to buy another one to add to the growing collection? It’s not like I can use it as loo paper, then again desperate times may call for desperate measures. No, they’re too pretty for that. Whatever. There’s a few that aren’t being used. When I buy I always come up with an idea they can be used for but they generally just stay in the drawer or desk cabinet. 

I’m a little stoic when it comes to paper and pens. Good penmanship is important to me. Jeez, you’d think I was going on 61 instead of 31 talking like this. But I’m still the generation who remembers the good times before IPads and digital recorders, 80s music and the original 90210, classes that made you learn to write in pencil before you progressed to using a pen, games outdoors in the playground instead of in front of the Xbox. 

I feel old. 

Maybe that’s why I need to start following my passion and stop wasting away in that cubicle and spending 3 hours a day commuting. At least I can get some writing done on the train. Those can sometimes be my most productive hours. Where else do you think I’m writing this now? 

It’s Thursday, by the time I get home it’ll be 6:45pm. I’ll be tired after a long day in the office. Fortunately dinner is already cooked so we only need to reheat. I might muster the energy to fit in a weights workout, I really hope I will, then I’ll plant my bum on couch, eat dinner, read a few blogs, hopefully submit a post to all three of my sites, comment on a few personal finance blogs I like, work on the novel in progress, and maybe even work on the queries instead of playing around with themes for the blogs which I’m currently not completely happy with. Ah, first world problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment